For those that wish to receive applications as a gift from a friend or family member, you can accomplish such a task with the Amazon AppStore, unlike the Google Play Store. There is one downside to using the Amazon AppStore and that is its availability. That’s right. The Amazon AppStore is only available in selected countries.
List of countries where the Amazon AppStore is available for downloading apps :
- United States
- United Kingdom
- Japan (recently added – November 2012)
If you wish to install the Amazon AppStore on your device, follow the instructions below.
Note: I am using the Android 4.2 mobile operating system for this tutorial.
How to install the Amazon App Store on an Android device :
- Boot up your Android device.
- Navigate to “settings” and select “security” from the “personal” category.
- Find “unknown sources” from the “device administration” category.
- Mark the checkbox to enable unknown sources.
- Visit this Amazon web page and look to the top-right corner of the web page.
- Enter your email in the box.
- Check the email address that you entered for an email from Amazon.
- You will find a link from the email send by Amazon to download the official Amazon AppStore app.
- Open notifications and select “Amazon_Appstore.apk”.
- Select “install” when you view the “do you want to install this application” message.
- Select “open” after the app was installed.
- Sign into your Amazon account and begin downloading applications.
Note: you are only required to do this once per device to install the Amazon AppStore on your Android smartphone or tablet. Follow the steps from this image provided by Amazon if you are having more issues with navigation (assuming you’re using an older version of the Android OS).